Today’s Gospel, (Luke 8, 41-56) talks about a small human gesture that is one of the most powerful and necessary human acts. The ability to touch someone.
A woman is healed and blessed by God because she was able to touch the cloak of Jesus.
In the Bible (John 10:28) we read that we will be blessed as long as we are able to hold the hand of God. We read, “my sheep, hear my voice and I will give them eternal life, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.”
- The struggle against division and conflict
- Wealth alone does not condemn us, poverty alone does not save us
- Reclaiming One Profoundly Disturbed
We all know that one of the most important things a mother can do is to touch her newborn child. The strength of any human relationship is that we can hold hands. All children crave to be touched.
The sick woman knew that a simple touch from Jesus would cure her.
It is very well known that when a person cannot even look at someone, there are serious problems present.
When we are dying, one of the most powerful moments is when we can hold the hand of someone we love. The prayers and anointing of the church are an assurance that God is also holding the hand of someone who is preparing for life after death.
It is very sad to hear that we maybe too busy to reach out to someone in need.
In the Gospel today we see that Jesus is on a mission to save a girl who is about to die. Yet, he finds time to talk to the woman and to heal her. He makes her feel as if she was the only person in the world. He spends time with her just as the girl he wanted to help has died. We see that we all need Jesus’ blessing for healing and grace.
The whole purpose of Christianity is to put people in touch with God. That is why our church does what we see it is doing in her public ministry.
There are so many people in the world. Many of them are suffering horrible conditions. So many are driven to live in sin. God and the church help as they do not want them to be lost in their despair.
So how can the church help people to be in touch with God?
- We can pray for people. Prayer is a way of being touched by God. The woman is healed because she talks to Jesus. Talking to Jesus is prayer.
- In order that prayer works, we must be filled with faith. We need to go to church. We need to practise our faith.
- Jesus touches us and we find Him by reading the Bible. By going to Holy Communion.
- Jesus touches us by sending other people to talk to us, to help us, to heal us. ie, priests, sisters, doctors, family members and friends.
There are so many different ways which we can be touched by Jesus and others in the world.
It all starts with grace, faith, and prayer. In God we have hope and strength.