To the glory of the Holy , consubstantial , life-giving and Undivided Trinity Father, Son , and Holy Spirit, and for the good of the People of God entrusted to us . Amen
BY THE GRACE OF GOD
AND IN COMMUNION
With the APOSTOLIC SEE of ROME
Major Archbishop of Kyivo-Halych
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
To the Most Reverend and Very Reverend Bishops,
To the Reverend Fathers, Venerable Monks and Nuns
and laity of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.
THE RESOLUTIONS OF THE SYNOD OF BISHOPS OF THE UKRAINIAN GREEK CATHOLIC CHURCH ARE PROCLAIMED AND PUBLISHED
Kyiv , 11-17 August 2013 God
1. Approval of the agenda of sessional meetings of the Synod of Bishops in 2013.
2. Approve the daily agenda of the Synod of Bishops in 2013.
3. To take into account the state of implementation of decisions of the Synod of Bishops in 2012.
4. To approve the report on the activities of the Patriarchal Curia of the UGCC in the past year.
5. To approve the attached summary reports of commissions and departments patriarchal level last year.
6. To approve the attached document “Directions of the New Evangelization in the Church” (see Appendix 1).
7. To give to the working group the authority to implement Vision 2020 and to activate the direction of the new evangelization in the Church.
8. To make program “Living parish – a meeting place of the living Christ” a priority in 2014 in the development of missionary spirit in the faithful .
9. To accept the document “The Missionary Spirit of consecrated persons in the Church .”
10. To instruct the Department of Canon Law in collaboration with the Department of Pastoral Migration of the Patriarchal Curia to develop a spiritual – pastoral program for the clergy who are in areas where there is no UGCC hierarchical church structure.
11. Approve the financial report of the Patriarchal Curia of the UGCC in 2012 .
12. Approve the budget of the Patriarchal Curia of the UGCC in 2014 .
13. To accept the attached financial report of “Andrew’s pence“ for 2012 .
14. Take note of the report of the working group on the implementation Vision 2020 for 2012-2013.
15. To instruct the Working Group to implement Vision 2020, collect statistics in the eparchies every two years starting from the first half of 2014.
16. Accept the financial report of the working group on the implementation Vision 2020 last inter – synod period and approve the budget of its operations for the period from August 2013 to August 2014.
17. We bless the future work of the “working group” on development of the Particular Church Law.
18. To give to the Patriarchal Liturgical Commission the duty to study the question of the Divine Office and to propose an official Divine Office of the UGCC.
19. Charge the Patriarchal Liturgical Commission:
• to propose official names and liturgical status of the feast days of the new martyrs of the UGCC in keeping with the liturgical norms;
• sign and submit for approval liturgical services for the New Martyrs.
20. To charge the Patriarchal Liturgical Commission to study the question of on which days of the liturgical calendar to commemorate the individual blessed martyrs of the UGCC.
21. To charge the Patriarchal Liturgical Commission to organize the publishing of liturgical texts.
22. For the annual Memorial Day of the dedication of the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Kyiv :
• Establish 18 (5 ) August as the feast day commemorating the dedication of the Patriarchal Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Kyiv ;
• instruct the Patriarchal Liturgical Commission to make and submit the propers of the service of the feast.
23. To improve the amended supplement and the correction of the thematic content of the catechumenate program of the UGCC.
24. To charge the Patriarchal Liturgical Commission by the end of 2013 to provide the liturgical services, we need to put into practice for celebration of the catechumenate of the UGCC, and submit them for review to the Permanent Synod of Bishops .
25. To put into practice in the eparchies of the UGCC a catechumenate program for adults.
26. Create a working group to write a UGCC Youth Catechism composed of the following members:
– Bishop . Peter (Stasiuk) , Patron of the working group ;
– Fr. Dr. Myron Bendyk , Chairman of the working group;
– Fr. Andrew Zielinski ;
– Fr. Oleg Kobel ;
– Fr. Dmitry Syneyko ;
– Fr. John Havano ;
– Fr. Matthew Gabriel, OSBM ;
– P. Athanasius Smetanyak , CSHF;
– Maria Kochanowski , an employee of the Commission on Youth ;
– Fr. Taras Barshchevsky ;
– Nazar Duda ;
– Sr Dr Louise Tsyupa , SSMI .
27. To charge the Working Group of the Writing the Youth Catechism of the UGCC to develop a concept of a catechism and propose it at the session after next of the Permanent Synod of Bishops .
28. To create a Maritime Apostolate in UGCC on a church wide level.
29. To choose Bishop Peter (Stasiuk) as the Head of the Maritime Apostolate of the UGCC.
30. Agree to change the name of “Pastoral Missionary Department of the Patriarchal Curia of the UGCC” to “Pastoral Migrant Department of the Patriarchal Curia of the UGCC”.
31. Agree to change the name of “Patriarchal Commission on Priestly Formation of the UGCC” to “The Patriarchal Commission for the Clergy of the UGCC”.
32. Proclaim the blessed martyr Velychkovsky the patron of prison chaplaincy in the UGCC.
33. To hold the Sixth Session of the Patriarchal Sobor in September 2015 in Ivano -Frankivsk.
34. To identify the topic for the Sixth Session of the Patriarchal Sobor of the UGCC under the theme: “Living parish – a place to meet of the living Christ”.
35. To charge the eparchial bishops to have an eparchial sobor in 2014 on ” Living parish – a place to meet the living Christ ” in preparation for the Sixth Session of the Patriarchal Synod of the UGCC.
36. To approve the following heads of synodal committees:
1) Ecumenical Committee – Patriarch Sviatoslav ;
2) Liturgical Committee – Bishop Benedict (Aleksiychuk);
3 ) The Committee of the clergy – Bishop Ken (Nowakowski );
4) Religious Congregations Committee – Bishop Stephen (Meniuk);
5 ) The Committee for the Laity – Bishop Vladimir (Koubetch);
6 ) The Committee of catechesis and Christian education – Bishop Peter (Stasiuk)
7) Theology Committee – Bishop Boris (Gudziak);
8 )The Committee for beatifications and canonizations – Metropolitan Igor (Voznyak);
9) Canon Law Committee – Bishop. Vladimir (Juszczak);
10 ) The Committee of marriage and the family – Bishop Dmitry (Grigorak);
11) Pastoral and Missionary Committee – Metropolitan Vasyl (Semeniuk)
12 ) The Committee of Public Communications – Bishop Taras (Senkiv);
13) Culture Committee – Bishop Dionysius (Liakhovich);
14 ) The Committee of social justice and charity – Bishop Gleb (Lonchyna);
15) Environmental Committee – Bishop. Michael (Koltun);
16 ) The Committee on Youth – Bishop Brian (Bayda );
17 ) Financial Committee – Metropolitan Vladimir (Viytyshyn);
18 ) The Committee for sailors in the merchant navy – Bishop Peter (Stasiuk)
19 ) The Committee for immigrants and refugees – Bishop Joseph (Milian).
37. To charge the eparchial bishops to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the legalization of the UGCC in Ukraine during 2014.
38. To establish the year from 1 November 2014 to 1 November 2015 as the year of the Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptitskiy.
39. To charge Metropolitan Bishop Ihor (Voznyak) to form and head the organizing committee for the celebration of the Year of the Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptitskiy.
40. To conduct the next Synod of Bishops on 7-14 September 2014 in Lviv – Bryukhovychi.
41 To identify the main topic for Synod 2014 as “The Stewardship of Gifts”
42. Assign responsibility for preparing the main theme of the Synod of Bishops 2014 to Most Reverend David (Motiuk).
These regulations came into force Sept. 3, 2013 A.D.,
on the day of St. Thaddeus
+ Sviatoslav (Shevchuk)
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
+ Bogdan (Dziurakh )
Secretary of the Synod of Bishops
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
DIRECTIONS FOR THE NEW EVANGELIZATION OF THE UGCC
- I. Development of the missionary spirit of the UGCC.
1. Declare the time from the Ascension to Pentecost “The Decade of the missionary spirit of the UGCC.”
2. Define the following levels of development of the missionary spirit of the Church:
1) personal and parish:
- • praying for the strengthening of and the spread m of the faith;
- • to share the faith through the witness of life;
- • sharing the gifts (talents , time, material resources) in order to spread the faith;
- • pay particular attention to the pastoral role of the Christian family in nurturing and transmitting the faith;
- • develop practices and programs that promote the spiritual convergence of Eastern and Western Ukraine, and also the faithful of the UGCC from different parts of the world.
- • develop evangelization programs for the new mission converts to the Church;
- • develop a program of pastoral care for Ukrainian immigrants , particularly those in Western countries ;
- • take measures to ensure the pastoral care of the faithful in their new places of residence within the existing structures of the UGCC in North and South America;
- • Develop programs for the return to the UGCC of non-practicing Christians (like the program «Welcome home» in the Diocese of Toronto );
- • develop programs of evangelization for different social categories of people (representatives of Culture and Science, education, justice, medicine, politics, etc.);
- • develop programs of evangelization for mixed marriages;
- • to develop different types of chaplaincy services
- • develop a program of pastoral practice for seminarians in missionary territories;
- • develop programs of mutual spiritual and material help between the parishes in missionary territories and parishes, eparcies and deaneries of the UGCC.
3) General Church :
- • explore opportunities and ways to implement missionary activity Ad Gentes.
- • establish a maritime apostolate in the UGCC.
3. To empower the working group of vision 2020, responsible for developing and coordinating the implementation of the directions of the new evangelization in the UGCC.
4. Identify as a priority the direction of formation of the clergy of the UGCC and to declare 2014 as the year of the development of missionary spirit in the UGCC.
5. To ask the Father and Head of the UGCC to create a working group of the subgroup to develop and implement the directions of the new evangelization of the UGCC.
II. Creation of the Institute for New Evangelization .
- 1. To instruct the Working Group to implement Vision 2020 to develop the concept and program of the Institute for New Evangelization.
- 2. Request eparchial bishops in accepting candidates to the seminary to consider not only the needs of local eparchies, but also the missionary needs of the UGCC and the universal Church.
- 3. To instruct the rectors of seminaries of the UGCC responsible for priestly formation of seminarians to cultivate the spirit of dedication, including the willingness to accept being a celibate priest.
III. Implementation of programs to raise the level of qualifications of the exarchate and eparchial administrations in missionary territory.
1. Charge the Patriarchal Curia of the UGCC:
• Arrange for bishops management courses in missionary administration;
• examine the current state of staffing of exarchates and eparchies ;
• organize training and skills development meetings for the support and exchange of experiences etc.
IV. Financial support for the missionary activity of the UGCC.
- 1. Request the eparchial bishops and the Father and Head of the UGCC:
- • to establish eparchial and general Church missionary funds for missionary activity of the UGCC;
- • to set aside the Decade of the missionary activity of the UGCC to collect donations in all parishes in the UGCC for the missionary needs of the eparchies of the Church;
- • redirect a portion of the collected funds for general Church missionary needs;
- • Establish a system of priestly solidarity for financial assistance to missionary clergy.
2. Appoint as chairman church wide of the Missionary Fund, Bishop Peter (Stasiuk).
This post is also available in: English