In the Gospel of Matthew 13, 44-46 we read: The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure, hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and ten in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it”.
Why does Jesus open up before his students the truth about the Kingdom of Heaven, equating it to the treasure in the field and to a pearl of great value?
When we look at it at first glance, the actions of these two people are a little illogical. In the first instance one man found a treasure and sells everything in order to buy a field. The other buyer sells all the pearls, in order to obtain one treasure. Both took risks, but they did this because they understood that this was a unique opportunity, that they couldn’t miss. The Holy Fathers explain that treasures and pearls are Christ himself. A person looks for God, and when they find Him, they put him in the center of their life. To people it sometimes looks illogical. The Holy Father Pope Francis says “A disciple of Christ – is not the one, who rids himself of something important, it’s the one who found full joy, which only The Lord can give”.
- Bishop Mykola: How to learn not to give in to bad emotions?
- Bishop Mykola: How not to lose your identity in your desire to become better?
- Bishop Mykola: Christians and healthy competition
- Bishop Mykola: Perfectionism for Christians. Good or Bad?
- Bishop Mykola: How to learn to deal in situations when there is fear and anxiety?
- Bishop Mykola: What does it mean to be yourself?
- Bishop Mykola: Why is it difficult for a person to recognize their mistakes?
- Bishop Mykola: How to correctly react to criticism and how to criticize?
- Bishop Mykola: Is it good for Christians to have authority “role model”?
- Bishop Mykola: Introduction
Throughout these meetings together we looked for the answers to the questions which excite us. Together with these answers we tried to find the biggest treasure, which is Christ. In these meetings, God’s Word accompanied us, which mended our way, so that in everyday troubles we would find the real valuable pearl – belief and joy in The Lord.
Thank you all for viewing, sharing and comments and to our future meetings!
This post is also available in: Ukrainian